Whether you’re using Pipedrive for the first time or a long-standing user, importing data allows you to add relevant data to leads and sales in your CRM and make it available for the whole organisation to use.
How to import data into Pipedrive
- Head over the left-hand menu, click on ‘...’ and navigate to the ‘import data’ feature. If you're migrating from another CRM, then you do have the option to transfer data directly into Pipedrive. For this guide, however, we’re going to focus on importing data using a spreadsheet.
- First and foremost, you’ll need to decide what data you want to import. You can import information such as deals or even map data onto existing contacts in Pipedrive. Before you import your data, you’ll need to ensure that the columns in your spreadsheet are clearly listed, so that it’s easy for Pipedrive to match during the import process.
- Now, you’re ready to upload your spreadsheet. Click on the button ‘From a spreadsheet’ and select the file you want to import into Pipedrive.
- After uploading your spreadsheet, you’ll need to match those columns in your file to data fields in Pipedrive.
⚠️ Important note: You may have data in your file that doesn’t match any of Pipedrive’s data fields. You can easily fix this by adding a custom field. You can learn more about this in our guide on how to create a custom field in Pipedrive.
- Hit ‘Next’ to see a preview of your data import. When selecting merge data, Pipedrive works to avoid duplicates throughout the import process. If you’re happy with how your data is displayed, then go ahead and click ‘Start Import’.
- Pipedrive will provide you with a skip file once your import is complete. Basically, this file informs you of any rows that may have had an issue during the import and will highlight the reason why there was a problem. You can correct these issues in the skip file and import that into Pipedrive.
How to automatically import data into Pipedrive with Ruler Analytics
Instead of spending time wrestling with importing data into Pipedrive, you could use a tool like Ruler to automate the process. This will allow you to focus on more important things, such as converting more leads into revenue.
Ruler Analytics can pass marketing source variables to Pipedrive across multiple touchpoints such as first/last, landing page, keyword, GCLID, page views and sessions to new and existing Deals in Pipedrive.
- Ruler tracks each anonymous visitor individually, and records how that user found your site and tracks any subsequent visits or interactions with other marketing channels and campaigns.
- Once an anonymous visitor makes a conversion, whether it be a form fill, phone call or live chat, Ruler will update the data on that user to create a customer journey.
- Using a pre-built integration, Ruler will send all the data it’s collected on your lead and send it to Pipedrive to create a new Deal. Ruler can also update existing records in your Pipedrive CRM with 60+ marketing variables.
- When a lead agrees to a Deal, Ruler can retrieve the information from your won deals and track it back to the moment of engagement. This will feed data into your marketing platforms such as Google Analytics, Google AdWords, Facebook and Microsoft Advertising.